Career-themed schools within high schools
Shaping Students for Success
Career Academies look past the traditional learning environment, letting students experience our region’s high-demand industries and gain valuable skills. Think beyond sitting in a desk, listening to yet another lecture. Rather students are engaged in projects, learning from industry professionals and exploring through capstone experiences.
Career Academy Themes
Career Academy pathways are aligned with the Talent Demand Study and are offered in high schools throughout the region.
- Business Management
- Computer Science & IT
- Construction & Trades
Academy themes can include several career programs – for instance a STEM Academy may include automotive technology, engineering, manufacturing and construction trades. Additional pathways will be added as needed to align with skill gaps in future high-demand occupations.
Are you a Chamber Member?
Why Career Academies?
Studies consistently show positive outcomes for students enrolled in Career Academies
- Increased graduation rates
- Improved attendance
- Lower dropout rates
- Increased participation in volunteer and extracurricular activities
- Higher post-secondary enrollment
- Higher earnings after graduation
- Emphasis on project- and inquiry-based instruction, internships and work-based learning, industry certifications and opportunities to earn college credit through dual enrollment
- Teams of teachers work together to integrate academic content and career/technical education
What’s the Chamber’s role?
The Chamber’s role is to connect business leaders with educators. Academy partners provide time and talent to help expand students’ knowledge of career opportunities in the region and the skills that are needed, help teachers better connect curriculum and real-world application and help to ensure what is being taught in the classroom is relevant to current job demands.
For the 2018/2019 school year, over 4,500 volunteer hours provided Work Based Learning opportunities for Career Academies in our region
Become a career academy partner
How do I get involved?
Become a Career Academy partner by joining one of seven Regional Advisory Boards that serve the region’s high schools, concentrating in either Health, Business Management, Construction and Trades, Engineering, Manufacturing, Hospitality or Computer Science and IT. Advisors help by providing input on current skills needed in the field.
Involvement opportunities include:
- Deep Dive – A two-hour intensive classroom experience sharing important industry or company knowledge with students
- Job Shadow – have students shadow employees at your company
- Industry Specific Field Trip – a visit that directly correlates to the Career Academy area of study
- Teacher Externship – host a half day visit with three or more teachers from Academies related to your industry
- Team Teaching – Serve as subject matter expert working with Academy and core subject teachers on a specific unit or subject matter
Learn more about becoming an Academy Partner