Career-themed schools within high schools
Shaping Students for Success
Career Academies look past the traditional learning environment, letting students experience our region’s high-demand industries and gain valuable skills. Think beyond sitting in a desk, listening to yet another lecture. Rather students are engaged in projects, learning from industry professionals and exploring through capstone experiences.
Career Academy Themes
Career Academy pathways are aligned with the Talent Demand Study and are offered in high schools throughout the region.
- Business Management
- Computer Science & IT
- Construction & Trades
Academy themes can include several career programs – for instance a STEM Academy may include automotive technology, engineering, manufacturing and construction trades. Additional pathways will be added as needed to align with skill gaps in future high-demand occupations.
Are you a Chamber Member?
Why Career Academies?
Studies consistently show positive outcomes for students enrolled in Career Academies
- Increased graduation rates
- Improved attendance
- Lower dropout rates
- Increased participation in volunteer and extracurricular activities
- Higher post-secondary enrollment
- Higher earnings after graduation
- Emphasis on project- and inquiry-based instruction, internships and work-based learning, industry certifications and opportunities to earn college credit through dual enrollment
- Teams of teachers work together to integrate academic content and career/technical education
What’s the Chamber’s role?
The Chamber’s role is to connect business leaders with educators. Academy partners provide time and talent to help expand students’ knowledge of career opportunities in the region and the skills that are needed, help teachers better connect curriculum and real-world application and help to ensure what is being taught in the classroom is relevant to current job demands.
For the 2018/2019 school year, over 4,500 volunteer hours provided Work Based Learning opportunities for Career Academies in our region
Become a career academy partner
How do I get involved?
Become a Career Academy partner by joining one of seven Regional Advisory Boards that serve the region’s high schools, concentrating in either Health, Business Management, Construction and Trades, Engineering, Manufacturing, Hospitality or Computer Science and IT. Advisors help by providing input on current skills needed in the field.
2020-21 Involvement opportunities include:
- Deep Dive – A 45 minute exploration of a company via live webinar, covering the who, what, where and how of a company with an overview of the types of jobs done on their site
- Essential Professional Skills Series – Students will hear from a panel of diverse industry leaders about professional skills that are needed in the workforce
- Career Launch Groups – Academy Partners will make up mentor teams and provide small group advice and guidance about the
professional skills students will need in their future careers
Learn more about becoming an Academy Partner