Cultivating, inspiring and challenging our region’s leaders
Through community immersion and interactions with diverse leaders, Leadership Charleston is cultivating leaders and igniting the advancement of the Charleston metro. The Chamber has been running this program for over 45 years – offering an intensive and up-close look at the most challenging issues and opportunities facing our region. This year-long program engages our region’s brightest leaders in uniquely crafted experiences that inform and engage participants so that they can have a meaningful impact on the future of our region.
Applications for the class of 2023 are now closed.
Leadership Charleston is a year-long program that engages participants in experiences that help them become better community leaders.
5 Reasons to Apply for Leadership Charleston in the Future
- Expand your leadership capacity through immersion into the realities and opportunities of our community
- Collaborate with the region’s top community leaders and organizations
- Develop deep relationships with a network of diverse colleagues
- Gain valuable insight into the most challenging issues facing our region
- Inspire change in our region
The 2022 Leadership Charleston Class has been chosen!
Leadership Charleston Class of 2023 Program Information
- Demonstrate leadership in your community.
- Be employed by a Chamber member company.
- Have an interest in furthering your knowledge about the Charleston Metro Area and community leadership.
- Commit to full participation in the Leadership Charleston program – the program requires a major time commitment.
- Attend a mandatory orientation session on September 1-3 at Wild Dunes Resort.
- Become active participants in advancing the community and making a positive contribution to the Charleston region post-graduation.
- A letter of endorsement must be received by July 16. This should be completed by your company Chief Executive or local area executive. This can be uploaded with your application or sent by email to email@example.com with the subject line Leadership Charleston Letter of Endorsement.
- Upon acceptance, a headshot and profile information will be required.
- You will need to supply an email address that Leadership Charleston can use to communicate important program information throughout the class year. The class will also utilize social platforms for communication (google forms, etc.).
- A committee, comprised of Leadership Charleston Alumni, thoroughly evaluates all applications through a blind process without any knowledge of who the applicant is or where they are employed. Class members are selected based on their application responses, so please answer the questions as thoroughly and thoughtfully as possible.
- Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis – applicants who meet the minimum score requirement will be accepted and notified within three weeks of application submission. Those accepted will have two weeks to accept their spot. Once the maximum number of participants have been accepted, applications will close. As the program sells out each year, you are encouraged to submit your application early.
- Select 2023 class participants on rolling “first come, first serve” basis
- Notify all applicants of acceptance status continuously but no later than July 26
- Tuition payment required upon acceptance and before August 13
- Press Release announcement of class in August 2022
Leadership Charleston begins with an orientation session on September 1-2 at Wild Dunes Resort and then meets one full day per month from September 2022 through July 2023. Each of these monthly program days is focused on a facet of the community (i.e. local government, military, philanthropy, economic development, etc.). August 2022 is a final wrap-up session and a graduation celebration. Attendance is mandatory for the orientation on September 1-2 (Thursday-Friday) at Wild Dunes Resort. After orientation, Leadership Charleston will meet for one all-day session per month from October through August. The monthly sessions are typically the third Thursday of each month. Only two absences for the one-day sessions will be allowed throughout the program. The schedule for each month’s session is below. Class members are also required to attend community meetings and a police ride-along on their own time outside of the monthly meetings.
- September 1-2, 2022 (Thursday-Friday)
- October 20, 2022 (Thursday)
- November 17, 2022 (Thursday)
- December 15, 2022 (Thursday)
- January 19, 2023 (Thursday)
- February TBD, 2023 (Wednesday)
- March 16, 2023 (Thursday)
- April 20, 2023 (Thursday)
- May 18, 2023 (Thursday)
- June 15, 2023 (Thursday)
- July 20, 2023 (Thursday)
- August TBD, 2023 (Thursday)
Tuition for the Leadership Class of 2021 is $3,200 for participants employed by Chamber member firms. Upon acceptance to the class, tuition is due in full by August 13, 2022. Tuition fee payments are final and are not refundable once the applicant has accepted their spot in the class.
In Their Words
Leadership Charleston allowed me the opportunity to learn about important industries and issues in the region, along with tools to be a more effective and mindful leader.