The Charleston Region's Collective Voice
Advocating for a Thriving Community
Thriving communities don’t just happen. Rather, they are the result of smart planning, collaboration and dedication to driving solutions. The Chamber’s government relations team works tirelessly to build and nurture relationships, address our region’s critical issues and advocate for a healthy business environment – all so the collective voice of the region’s business community is heard. So you can focus on your business, while we focus on ensuring your business has a thriving community to prosper within. So that each one of our community members has the opportunity to advance and enjoy a top-notch quality of life. Our team advocates at the federal, state and regional levels and takes a proactive and collaborative approach to tackling issues. Stay up-to-date on what’s happening – sign-up to receive our weekly Advocates update.
View the 2020 Legislative Scorecard
We advocate with local governments region-wide for traffic, housing and land use solutions that support smart, sustainable growth. Top Priorities
- Increase awareness and drive solutions for the region’s housing attainability crisis.
- Mobilize diverse business voices to advocate for sustainable growth and smart policy solutions.
Become A champion Advocate
Sign Up Now!
Champion Advocates are grassroots leaders working to change public discourse by spreading a positive message about our region’s growth and development. Mobilization includes engagement on social media, with personal networks and occasionally in front of elected councils to share facts about the region’s progress and reinforce the need for smart policies and planning to accommodate our future growth.
State House Influence
With a full-time Business Lobbyist working at the State House every day of the legislative session, we are enhancing the region’s business climate by advancing critical state legislation. Priority Issues
- Targeted education and workforce policy changes to address the talent gap.
- Legislation to facilitate the development of workforce attainable housing.
- Support military base retention and expansion.
During the 2018 legislative session, Chamber Lobbyist George Ramsey was in Columbia 53 days and had 68 meetings with legislators and staff.
We advocate on federal policies impacting trade, infrastructure, immigration and defense to advance the prosperity of our region and the organizations that call the tri-county home. Priority Issues:
- We support international trade agreements that are fair, accountable, consistent and that reduce barriers to free and open markets.
- To address our dire infrastructure system, we advocate for sustained infrastructure investment at a level adequate to complete identified priority projects region-wide and for streamlined federal infrastructure permitting.
- Our metro is globally connected and would benefit from a comprehensive immigration reform that helps businesses attract and retain talented individuals who fuel our globally connected economy.
- The Charleston region has a long military history. We support policies and investments that promote the retention and expansion of military operations and federal facilities in our metro.
Government Relations Resources
In the News
Updates on Infrastructure from...
The two-day Virtual DC Fly-In wrapped up yesterday afternoon after a series...
Government Relations Update
In a recent Government Relations Update, we had a conversation with Mayor...
The Advocates: Positive Movements...
We are one step closer to passing the Zoning and Land Development...
Become a Champion Advocate