The Charleston Region's Collective Voice
Advocating for a Thriving Community
Thriving communities don’t just happen. Rather, they are the result of smart planning, collaboration and dedication to driving solutions. The Chamber’s government relations team works tirelessly to build and nurture relationships, address our region’s critical issues and advocate for a healthy business environment – all so the collective voice of the region’s business community is heard. So you can focus on your business, while we focus on ensuring your business has a thriving community to prosper within. So that each one of our community members has the opportunity to advance and enjoy a top-notch quality of life.
Our team advocates at the federal, state and regional levels and takes a proactive and collaborative approach to tackling issues.
Stay up-to-date on what’s happening – sign-up to receive our weekly Advocates update.
We advocate with local governments region-wide for traffic, housing and land use solutions that support smart, sustainable growth.
Become A champion Advocate
Sign Up Now!
Champion Advocates are grassroots leaders working to change public discourse by spreading a positive message about our region’s growth and development. Mobilization includes engagement on social media, with personal networks and occasionally in front of elected councils to share facts about the region’s progress and reinforce the need for smart policies and planning to accommodate our future growth.
State House Influence
With a full-time Business Lobbyist working at the State House every day of the legislative session, we are enhancing the region’s business climate by advancing critical state legislation.
- Targeted education and workforce policy changes to address the talent gap.
- Legislation to facilitate the development of workforce attainable housing.
- Support military base retention and expansion.
During the 2018 legislative session, Chamber Lobbyist George Ramsey was in Columbia 53 days and had 68 meetings with legislators and staff.
We advocate on federal policies impacting trade, infrastructure, immigration and defense to advance the prosperity of our region and the organizations that call the tri-county home.
- We support international trade agreements that are fair, accountable, consistent and that reduce barriers to free and open markets.
- To address our dire infrastructure system, we advocate for sustained infrastructure investment at a level adequate to complete identified priority projects region-wide and for streamlined federal infrastructure permitting.
- Our metro is globally connected and would benefit from a comprehensive immigration reform that helps businesses attract and retain talented individuals who fuel our globally connected economy.
- The Charleston region has a long military history. We support policies and investments that promote the retention and expansion of military operations and federal facilities in our metro.
Infrastructure advancements are vital in our metro. To address our needs, we identify and advocate for our most critical road, transit, freight and stormwater projects.
- Update traffic demand assessment of Glenn McConnell Parkway Extension and develop an advocacy plan to advance the project.
- Examine the region’s stormwater infrastructure needs, potential funding sources and update priorities documents to reflect the highest impact stormwater projects.
- Collaborate with One Region partners to identify barriers and develop an advocacy plan to advance the Low Country Rapid Transit project.
Meet the Government Relations Team
Government Relations Resources
In the News
Update from the State...
April 8, 2020 On Wednesday the General Assembly reconvened in Columbia originally...
City of Charleston Votes...
Yesterday evening, Monday, April 6th, at an emergency called meeting, the Charleston...
Governor McMaster Issues Mandatory...
April 6, 2020 At a press conference this afternoon, Governor Henry McMaster issued...
Become a Champion Advocate