The Charleston Region's Collective Voice
Advocating for a Thriving Community
Thriving communities don’t just happen. Rather, they are the result of smart planning, collaboration and dedication to driving solutions. The Chamber’s government relations team works tirelessly to build and nurture relationships, address our region’s critical issues and advocate for a healthy business environment – all so the collective voice of the region’s business community is heard. So you can focus on your business, while we focus on ensuring your business has a thriving community to prosper within. So that each one of our community members has the opportunity to advance and enjoy a top-notch quality of life. Our team advocates at the federal, state and regional levels and takes a proactive and collaborative approach to tackling issues. Stay up-to-date on what’s happening – sign-up to receive our weekly Advocates update.
Did you hear that Lowcountry Rapid Transit received a grant?
Prepare Yourself to Have a Greater Impact to Public Service
Civic Leaders Academy is an advanced and informative public service training program designed to identify, cultivate and train individuals from across our region to both run for public office and serve on appointed boards and commissions. Through the Civic Leaders Academy, individuals will gain a better understanding of data driven decision making, strong peer relationships, and valuable community connections.
Political Action Committee
Every year is an election year in our region and the business community deserves to have access and influence on crucial decisions that impact our region for years to come. The Chamber’s PAC is an essential tool to support candidates that contribute to a positive business climate for the Charleston region’s business community.
We advocate with local governments region-wide for traffic, housing and land use solutions that support smart, sustainable growth.
- Increase awareness and drive solutions for the region’s housing attainability crisis.
- Charleston Trident Association of Realtors® (CTAR) retained Anderson Economic Group to conduct a study of housing affordability and housing policy in the Charleston metro area.
- Mobilize diverse business voices to advocate for sustainable growth and smart policy solutions.
Become A champion Advocate
Sign Up Now!
Champion Advocates are grassroots leaders working to change public discourse by spreading a positive message about our region’s growth and development. Mobilization includes engagement on social media, with personal networks and occasionally in front of elected councils to share facts about the region’s progress and reinforce the need for smart policies and planning to accommodate our future growth.
State House Influence
With a full-time Business Lobbyist working at the State House every day of the legislative session, we are enhancing the region’s business climate by advancing critical state legislation. Priority Issues
- Targeted education and workforce policy changes to address the talent gap.
- Legislation to facilitate the development of workforce attainable housing.
- Support military base retention and expansion.
We advocate on federal policies impacting trade, infrastructure, immigration and defense to advance the prosperity of our region and the organizations that call the tri-county home. Priority Issues:
- We support international trade agreements that are fair, accountable, consistent and that reduce barriers to free and open markets.
- To address our dire infrastructure system, we advocate for sustained infrastructure investment at a level adequate to complete identified priority projects region-wide and for streamlined federal infrastructure permitting.
- Our metro is globally connected and would benefit from a comprehensive immigration reform that helps businesses attract and retain talented individuals who fuel our globally connected economy.
- The Charleston region has a long military history. We support policies and investments that promote the retention and expansion of military operations and federal facilities in our metro.
Meet the Government Relations Team
Government Relations Resources
In the News
The Advocates: PAC Endorsed...
PAC Releases First Slate of Endorsed Candidates Last month, we covered the...
The Advocates: End of...
On Thursday at 5:00 p.m., the legislative session came to an end...
A word from the...
Written by Craig Logan, Executive Fellow of Housing My Background After graduating...
Become a Champion Advocate