Political Action Committee
History of the PAC
Founded on September 15, 2000, the Chamber’s PAC was originally named “Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Business Advocating Change PAC,” before the name was amended in 2019. The Chamber’s PAC is a separate organization governed by the PAC board. Chamber members sit on the PAC board, but their decisions are independent of the Chamber board.
Every year is an election year in our region and the business community deserves to have access and influence on crucial decisions that impact our region for years to come. The Chamber’s PAC is an essential tool to support candidates that contribute to a positive business climate for the Charleston region’s business community.
Exercising business community influence at the ballot box
Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent in our community and state each day to provide services, build and maintain infrastructure and educate our future workforce. The PAC ensures the candidates we elect to public office have the fiscal responsibility to oversee budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars and to determine spending priorities that positively impact the ability for businesses to operate each day effectively.
The focus is on local elections including city and town council, mayoral races, county councils. And since 2000, we’ve had a strong track record with two-thirds of the Chamber’s PAC’s endorsed candidates being elected.
The Chamber’s PAC also supports members of the tri-county legislative delegation and leadership of the General Assembly that are strong pro-business advocates.
- 5 out of 7 endorsed candidates won in 2021 primary elections
- The Chamber supported Affordable Housing Bond Referendum passed with 70% voter approval
- Lifetime 64% endorsed candidate success rate
Did You Know?
100% of contributions to the PAC go to support endorsed candidates for local offices and incumbents at the State House who have earned the Chamber’s Champion of Business Award through their voting record.
The PAC interview process allows the PAC board to vet the candidates and determine their alignment with the Chamber’s key policy priorities.
- Candidates complete written questionnaire
- PAC Board interviews each candidate
- Candidates that align with our legislative priorities are endorsed
Thank you for your support
Make a PAC Contribution
Chairman’s Level – $2500
- Recognition as Chairman’s Level donor
- Two tickets to the PAC Reception on June 16
- Five tickets to the November PAC Reception
President’s Level – $1000
- Recognition as President’s Level donor
- One ticket to the PAC Reception on June 16
- Two tickets to the November PAC Reception