- 1,375 VISITS
- 105 LIKES
The City of Charleston will host the Annual First Day Festival on Sunday, August 12, from 1 -4 pm, at Liberty Square at the South Carolina Aquarium and Gadsdenboro Park. The First Day Festival is a celebration of education and provides children and families with information on educational services in the community, as well as a fun day together.
Highlights of the Festival include:
- Free boat rides
- Free admission to the SC Aquarium during the hours of the Festival (and 1 extra hour to 5:00 pm.)
- Healthy Food Samples
- Kids Zone
- Free school supplies (available while they last)
- $1 parking at the SC Aquarium Garage & Gaillard Garage
This is a great event that supports area students. Last year, they were able to give away over 4,000 bags full of new school supplies and they couldn’t have done it without the support of the community!
Are you wondering how you can help? Here are five ways you can support the First Day Festival:
- Make a monetary contribution to cover the cost of the festival (Checks should be made payable to the First Day Festival, City of Charleston)
- Conduct a school supply drive with your employees, customers and/or vendors
- Provide in-kind support for supplies and equipment
- Volunteer for pre-festival activities or on the day of the event
- Support your employees by giving them time off to participate in activities or volunteer at their child’s school throughout the year.
School Supply Drive
Would you like to brighten up a child’s day and promote education in Charleston?
In celebration of the first day of school, the Mayor’s Office for Children, Youth & Families is asking you to participate in the annual First Day Festival School Supply Drive! Last year, we were able to give away over 4,000 bags full of new school supplies and we couldn’t have done it without the support of the community! This year, we hope to pack even more bags to give away and prepare kids for the new school year. If you would like to donate to this wonderful cause, please look for our blue bins at one of the following drop-off locations:
- Arthur W. Christopher Community Center
- Bees Landing Recreation Center
- Charleston Tennis Center
- James Island Recreation Center
- Hazel Parker Playground
- St. Julian Devine Community Center
- Charleston Farmer’s Market
- West Ashley Farmer’s Market
Become a Volunteer!
The annual First Day Festival is fast approaching and they need your help! Come Volunteer for a great purpose! Help get kids the school supplies they need for their first day of school.
Help out in the Kid Zone, School Supply Center, Health and Wellness Center, Green Team, and so much more!
This year’s First Day Festival will be held on Sunday, August 12th 1:00-4:00pm at Liberty Square and Gadsdenboro Park! Festival volunteers will receive a free First Day Festival t-shirt the day of the festival! Volunteers must be at least 16 years old; those younger than 16 are allowed to participate in our Pre-Festival packing parties!