Before legislators around the state return to Columbia next week, we wanted to ensure that our 2022 Legislative Agenda was released and accessible to our members. Each year, I take these Priority Issues to the State House and advocate on behalf of the business community.
We typically unveil the Legislative Agenda at our annual Legislative Reception but, unfortunately, we had to postpone this year’s event due to the rise in COVID-19 cases. We look forward to seeing you at our State Delegation Appreciation event in June. This year’s Agenda focuses on the business community’s top priorities related to building a skilled talent pipeline, criminal justice reform, supporting the military, the state fiscal health, economic development and infrastructure.
The Agenda features 12 Priority Issues that the Chamber’s Government Relations team will actively work to pass this year, including:
- Fully exempt military retirement benefits from state income tax.
- Increase state investment in tourism advertising.
- Update and modernize South Carolina’s state education funding model to ensure that every student has access to a high-quality public education.
- Support funding for electric vehicle charging stations and incentives for the infrastructure needed.
- Review our state’s penal code to better align crimes and sentencing, expand the number of non-violent felony offenses for expungement and better prepare inmates for high-demand career opportunities making it easier to transition into the workforce.
We will continue to keep you updated on the progress of our Legislative Agenda items over the next several months. To view the 2022 Legislative Agenda, visit www.charlestonchamber.org/legislativeagenda.