The government relations team’s work can be described using three words: inform, access, and advocate. The ACCESS series is a great example of how we do this work. Throughout the ACCESS series, Chamber members will have the opportunity to interact personally with and ask questions of the top local elected officials around the Charleston Metro Region.
Elected leaders will answer questions, address current issues facing their community and ways the business community can help. Following the program, members and elected leaders are invited to join us for a happy hour reception.
Mount Pleasant Mayor Haynie joined Chamber members on April 28 to discuss 2023 budget projections, attainable housing challenges, economic development opportunities in the town, and the town’s relationship with the Chamber and the business community.
Please see below for some key takeaways:
- The proposed 2023 budget reflects a focus in infrastructure investment, maintaining competitive compensation positions and maintaining the level and quality of services.
- Did you know?
- 44% of the Town’s revenue comes from property and other taxes
- 49% of the Town’s expenditures are public safety & public services
- Mayor Haynie is acutely aware of the housing challenges in Mount Pleasant. He is committed to working with the Chamber and other partners to identify attainable housing solutions.
- Mount Pleasant recently released their new economic development strategy. They are working to their relationship with the business community to attract and retain high-quality, high-wage jobs.
The Chamber is looking forward to strengthening the business community in Mount Pleasant and collaborating to address the town’s greatest challenges. Thank you for joining us, Mayor Haynie!
If you are interested in attending our next ACCESS event, click here.